Hi errbody! Happy "you made it halfway through the week!" day. Once again, I'm here with some tidbits for your enjoyment.
These little lavender beauties caught my eye while walking through Golden Gate park the other day. I have no idea what they're called, but they sure are presh! They are also likely poisonous to humans.
I had a major craving for something sweet yesterday, so I whipped up a Piña Colada smoothie. My concoction was loosely based off of this recipe on Averie Cook's blog. It’s really simple to make!
Into a blender, combine 8 oz of coconut milk beverage (I used Silk’s Almond Coconut Blend), ¾ c. fresh pineapple, ¼ c. frozen mango, ½ a large frozen banana (sliced), ½ scoop whey protein (I put it in almost all my smoovies), ¼ c. coconut flakes, and 2 ice cubes. Blend until smooth, about 60 seconds. Top with additional coconut, if desired.
It makes a little more than two 8 oz. servings, or you can be selfish and drink the whole thing yourself (like I did).
Our ski lease rental in Tahoe is near the lake, so I love walking down to the beach during the day. It's so peaceful!
Things we should be eating
- I bought some Prosecco Brut while in Tahoe this past weekend, but because of a dumb case of altitude sickness, I didn’t feel like drinking it. What to do with an unfinished bottle o’ bubbly? Bon Appétit mag recommends cooking it with shellfish, making a sauce to top protein or pasta, or freezing for boozy ice cubes. I suppose cooking with alcohol is the second best thing to drinking it.
- Cottage pie. I’m usually home to make dinner, but when I’m not, I like to leave the hubs with something delicious and ready to eat. I'm making this tasty pie today so that he can eat it for dinner tomorrow. All he'll need to do is heat it up in the oven!
Things we should be reading
- Last week I read this interesting commentary on PC culture in America. (FYI it’s pretty long, but well worth the read!)
- If you know me well, you’re aware that I’m the touchy type (not in a creepy way?). Long ago, I told my friends I couldn’t marry a man that wouldn’t scratch my head. I know, it seems strange BUT I kept that standard (don’t settle, people!), and my man (sometimes begrudgingly) takes care of me. To me, the right type of touch is not only relaxing, but makes me feel connected to that other person. NPR has an interview with professor/author David Linden about touch and how it effects us.
- Now, onto more serious business. Cannot get enough of Left Shark? (I know you can't.) Introducing, Left Shark: Valentine’s Day Edition!
Things we should be listening to
- Kanye's “Only One” vid. I cried because North is so cute, and the song lyrics are heart warming. I also felt confused because Kanye actually cracks a smile. So many emotions. You wanna watch.
- I’m already obsessed with Aubrey Plaza (of Parks and Recreation), and here she is in Father John Misty’s (previously of Fleet Foxes) music video. Although it’s a couple years old, I just started listening to him and I can’t get enough!
- Also, please listen to all the Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover of Community fame). These are my two fav songs of his right now, from his recent ‘Kauai’ EP: Retro (audio) Sober (video!)
Have a lovely rest of the week, babies!